March 14, 2020 – The COVID-19 virus has become an increasing concern to the public and to sport organizations like the Saskatchewan Racquetball Association. The health, safety and well being of our members is a priority.
Following the lead of the Saskatchewan Health Authority, Racquetball Canada and the sporting community, it is important to do our part to delay or reduce the spread of the virus in our communities.
Effective immediately, all upcoming sanctioned tournaments will be either cancelled or postponed. This includes the:
- Saskatoon Classic – March 20 to 22 in Saskatoon
- Terry O’Fee Memorial Tournament – April 3 to 5 in Regina
- Saskatchewan Provincial Championships – May 1 to 3 in Saskatoon
The Association will re-assess the situation on April 12 to determine the next course of action. Updates will be provided on our website and to those who are already registered for tournaments.
Racquetball Canada has put a hold on the Canadian Championships, which were planned to take place in Brossard in May. A final decision regarding cancelation or postponement will be made at a later date. The Pan Am Sports Confederation has cancelled the Pan Am Championships, which were scheduled for the beginning of April. This affects the national team for the event, including team member Tim Landeryou of Saskatoon who had qualified to represent Canada and had been training hard to prepare for competition.
Clubs and athletes who decide to continue training must follow provincial, municipal and facility regulations with the goal to prioritize the health and wellness of all. This includes ensuring appropriate social distancing measures with the goal of reducing transmission of COVID-19. Please contact your facility and your local Public Health office for more information at: https://www.saskatchewan.ca/residents/health/public-health/public-health-offices
For more information, please review:
- Government of Saskatchewan: https://www.saskatchewan.ca/coronavirus
- Public Health Agency of Canada: https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/coronavirus-disease-covid-19.html
- World Health Organization: https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019
Click here for a copy of our statement.
President, Saskatchewan Racquetball Association