February 6, 2023
Danielle Ramsay (Drury) finished in second place at Racquetball Canada’s National Team Selection Event held this past weekend in Grande Prairie. Ramsay defeated former Saskatchewan athlete Christine Keay (Richardson) to advance to the final, where she faced Michèle Morissette of Baie-Comeau. Morissette came out on top, winning with scores of 111-6, 8-11, 11-7, 11-7 in a best of 5 match.
Ramsay returned to competition in February 2021, after stepping away from the sport to complete her studies. Since returning, she has finished in the top four in all national level tournaments and represented Canada at the 2022 World Championships.
Juliette Parent of St. Jacques finished in third place, defeating Keay, now of New Westminster 8-11, 11-5, 11-3, 11-2.
In the Men’s Open Singles final, Sam Murray defeated Coby Iwaasa of Lethbridge in a tight match that went to a tie breaker. Murray and Iwaasa battled it out throughout the first four games of the match, with Murray getting the win, finishing with scores of 10-12, 11-4, 12-14, 11-7, 11-9. Trevor Webb of Cambridge faced Lee Connell of Saskatoon in the third place match winning 11-6, 11-4, 11-7.
Lee Connell of Saskatoon finished in 4th place after being defeated by Trevor Webb of Cambridge in the bronze medal match.
Tanner Prentice of Macrorie placed 6th in the men’s event and Cassie Prentice of Macrorie/Saskatoon placed 6th in the women’s event.
The results from the weekend’s tournament impact the selection for the Pan Am Championships being held in Guatemala City from March 31 to April 8. The results will also count towards the selection of the team that will represent Canada at the 2023 Santiago Pan Am Games. The Pan Am Championship team will be announced in the next few weeks.
Recorded matches can be viewed on the Alberta Racquetball Association Facebook Page at: www.facebook.com/ABracquetball
Draws and results: www.trackie.com/online-registration/entry-list/matches/484898/
Women’s Open Singles
- Michèle Morissette (Baie-Comeau, QC)
- Danielle Ramsay (Saskatoon, SK)
- Juliette Parent (St. Jacques, QC)
- Christine Keay (New Westminster, BC)
- Marjolaine Parent (St. Jacques, QC)
- Cassie Prentice (Saskatoon, SK)
- Ofelia Wilscam (Repentigny, QC)
Men’s Open Singles
- Samuel Murray (Saint-Hubert, QC)
- Coby Iwaasa (Lethbridge, AB)
- Trevor Webb (Cambridge, ON)
- Lee Connell (Saskatoon, SK)
- Kurtis Cullen (Brandon, MB)
- Tanner Prentice (Macrorie, SK)
- Nathan Jauvin (Terrebonne, QC)
- Mitch Brayley (Calgary, AB)
- Naman Gauri (Lethbridge, AB)
- David Serra (Abbotsford, BC)
- Christian Pocsai (New Hamburg, ON)
- Jeff Buller (Grande Prairie, AB)